I was recently asked about my favorite books. After sharing about my favorite fiction, here are some of my go-to business books.
I should preface this list by saying: as a big fan of both GetAbstract and listening to audio books at 1.75x speed, it takes a lot for me to read a business book cover-to-cover!
- Good to Great took generally known concepts and makes them both sticky and applicable.
- The First Ninety Days– wins a special prize because I’ve read it multiple times! In fact, I re-read it each time I start a new job and have posted about the concept of “breaking even” in a new role.
- Seven Habits of Highly Effective People introduced life hacks before they were a thing. I’m still grateful to have found this book so early on in my work life.
- The Goal is one I just couldn’t toss. The nerdy operator in me still loves it!
- And the award goes to… Orbiting the Giant Hairball! Written before the turn of the millennium, I still remember a few great pointers:
- “Orbiting is responsible creativity: vigorously exploring and operating beyond the Hairball of the corporate mindset… all the while remaining connected to the spirit of the corporate mission.”
- “Find the goals of the organization that touch our heart and release your passion to follow those goals.”
Yep, still good.
What are your go-to business books?